Monday, February 9, 2009

The Last Lecture

I admit it. I am one of the billions of viewers who have watched Professor Randy Pausch’s "The Last Lecture" on You -Tube. Not that I am an avid You –Tube fan, in fact, I vilify those people that consume their waking hours watching unknowns in these implausible videos.

But something struck me when I heard about this Carnegie-Mellon University computer science professor , who upon receiving the devastating news that he has terminal cancer provided a last lecture for all in his university’s community. I have watched and re-watched this video many times; I even purchased his book based on the lecture and read it.

Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis and sharing the profession of teaching, I felt akin with Professor Pausch. His love for life, his family, and passing on knowledge to young people was at the heart of his message and his life. Life is so ironic; as I watched his lecture, I pondered how only when we begin to die do we really learn how to live.

In my moments of solitude, I pray for strength to continue teaching through the throbbing hip pain and the difficulty of living with leg length discrepancy due to my latest hip surgery. After all, I am alive. I may have been convicted to a life sentence without parole, but I will live to see tomorrow. Whether I choose to see it through a bright sunny lens or one of dark despair is up to me. I firmly believe, in the words of Dr. Pausch, to live life like Tigger, never like Eeyore. There is so much of God’s grandeur in everything and everyone; we just need to be open to see it.

As I edit my thoughts today, I learned of Dr. Pausch’s death. My hearts go out to his wife Jai, and his three young children. May they grow up knowing they are the product of love and of an amazing man- one whom shared very little time with us, yet left behind the ultimate lesson for humanity.

Rest in peace, Dr. Randy Pausch. “ May flights of angels take thee to thy rest.”
This post was written months ago when Professor Pausch passed away.
To watch Dr. Pausch's last lecture: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

No comments: