Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Small Victories

I have never won an Olympic medal or any type of sporting event, yet I know the taste of victory- one that brings a smile to your face and pride in your heart. Call it a small victory, but a victory, nonetheless. This past Thanksgiving I was able to partake in an old holiday tradition-Black Friday or Day after Thanksgiving Sales. After a two day cooking spree, my sister-in- law and I headed to the Outlet Mall before midnight. Although some may think this is crazy, it was simply exhilarating to me. It was not the opportunity to save money on holiday gifts, but a feeling of wholeness. I no longer felt broken, but repaired.

Just five months to the day of my third total hip replacement, I was walking in the middle of a very cold evening all around an outdoor mall. We shopped from midnight to 6 am the following morning. I was able to walk, stand in line, and browse around like everyone else. This may sound trite to many, but to me it was a sign of victory and defeat over Arthur. After a very hot summer filled with pain, injury, and surgery, the cold air felt invigorating against my face. Winter is symbolically a time of death, but for me this winter is a time of rebirth as I feel completely healed from the surgery.

For this holiday season, I promised myself to give a little more than usual to every Salvation Army greeter outside a store that I encounter and any toy drive that I am asked. In doing so, I am silently paying it forward to all those who so lovingly cared for me this year. Christmas is a special time of giving and gratefulness, what better way to express my gratitude than to be a part of someone else's joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aimee -

I have never responded to any blogs, rarely write 'letters to the editor', etc., however, after stumbling across your story, I feel compelled to give you a little feedback and let you know what your experiences have done for me.

I too have had a fairly remarkable history of surgeries, a transplant, major burns, injuries, and so forth, but only recently, at age 55, have I been diagnosed with OA, or some as-of-yet undetermined variety of it. I have also felt the thrill of 'small victories' that few could really understand - such as running the Peachtree a couple of times - when in some previous times it seemed like I would never even be able to make it across the room.

The difference with this recent revelation (diagnosis), is that I'm discovering an entirely different set of limitations brought about by the pain and weakness, to the extent that my ability to continue in my profession is even becoming questionable. But I have a point to all of this -

I am on the very early part of this journey. It's a relatively easy thing for me, given my history, to start leaning to the negative 'why me - AGAIN' syndrome. However, reading your story, and getting a feel for your perspective on this creature, has been truly inspiring. I have a wonderful support system via my wife, loving friends and strong church community, and your writing adds such a fresh, hopeful and upbeat air to your experience I find it both a delightful resource, and a further motivation to be proactive in aggressively finding out everything I possibly can to minimize the impact this thing will have on my life. Thank you.

BTW - in one of your recounts, you mention my great little hometown, Jasper. We've been here (from my native Atlanta) for nearly 12 years, and I hope your next trip through the winding roads is far more pleasurable!

I hope 2008 is a banner year for you and yours, and look forward to keeping up with your progress.

Peace -

Tom

CARMEN said...

Dear Aimee,

As I prepared to deal with some Arthur issues of Ana's, I ran across your blog! After a few moments of guilt for not keeping in touch as I should, I started laughing as I remembered our bouts through "La Bella Italia" and felt compelled to respond to your posting. You've been a hero to our family for many years and it is precisely your hopefulness that is contagious in the face of Arthur's challenges. Thanks for your continued dedication to let others know there is HOPE and how much a cheery disposition and faith help. You are missed and maybe now we can catch up...
I pray that you keep on charging those malls with lots of gusto!
Take care, God bless and much love to your beautiful family up in 'them thar hills, ya'll'!!
Big hug,
Carmen (aka,Sophia...)